Dread Disease Cover from 1Life

Dread disease cover from 1life gives you financial protection. This protection is if you contract one of the critical life-threatening illnesses on your policy document. A Dread Disease policy pays out a tax-free lump sum on diagnosis of any one of these conditions.

There are 4 main Dread Diseases for which most insurance policies provide cover. These four account for 90% of the submitted claims throughout the world. They are –

  • cancer
  • coronary artery bypass
  • heart attack
  • stroke


Cancer affects 100,000 people a year in South Africa. One in 24 men get prostate cancer, and 1 in 33 women get breast cancer.

Dread Disease Cover from 1Life – Calculating the Cover Needed

1Life has a special Financial Needs Analysis with which to calculate your cover requirements. You can do this online in 3 easy steps. You’ll receive detailed recommendations on how much insurance you need.

Consider also the following when selecting your cover –

  •      do you have any other disability cover?
  •      how good is your current Medical Aid cover?
  •      your age? The older you are, the steeper your premiums.


Dread Disease Cover from 1Life


Dread Disease Cover from 1 Life


  • The Policy pays out up to R4 000 000 at the diagnosis of a Dread Disease, depending on the cover chosen.
  • You do not need to undergo a medical examination.
  • Premiums increase by 5-14% each year, although there is no increase in premiums for the first 24 months.
  • An HIV test is necessary in all cases.
  • Non-disclosure, whether deliberate or accidental, is a cause for your claim to be rejected.
  • There are certain exclusions and levels of payout for each condition. Read your policy document carefully.
  • The payout sum is tax-free.


Dread Disease Cover from 1 Life – Waiting Periods

  • There is a period of waiting before you are able to claim.
  • ‘Survival Period’ – this is the 28 days after diagnoses before you are able to claim.
  • There will be those normal delays where 1Life will be waiting for the official diagnosis from a specialist, diagnostic test results, x-rays, scans, and blood tests.


Premiums for Dread Disease Cover from 1Life

Calculating your premium is based on your specific Risk Profile –

  • Age – the younger you are, the less you will pay
  • Health – your current health condition, and any chronic conditions
  • Lifestyle – do you smoke, or have you ever? What is your daily or weekly alcohol consumption? Do you use recreational drugs?


If you also have their Pure Life Cover, these premiums will be waived for 5 years if you have lodged a successful claim under the Dread Disease Cover.

Payout Levels for Dread Disease Cover from 1LIfe

There are 2 payout levels –

Level 1 – 25% payout on occurrence of a Life Changing Event. The other 75% will be left until needed, or disease changes to level 2.

Level 2 – 100% payout on occurrence of Life Changing Event

Level 1 and 2 payouts are also paid for Organ Transplant or Failure, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, Motor Neuron Disease, AIDS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and others.

A critical illness or dread disease is like a death sentence hanging over you. More so if you don’t have dread disease cover. Hundreds of South Africans have a stroke each day. Many die and many others are left with life changing disabilities. Rehabilitation without medical aid assistance can mean you selling everything you own. On the other hand, a dread disease policy pays out a tax-free lump sum to cover massive medical expenses.


To get your  life insurance and dread disease cover quotes please complete and send the form on this page

All info was correct at time of publishing